Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Dream Flat


Marc and I are planning on moving in together sometime in the near future. While waiting for things to fall into place (read: the old condo sold and finding the right place at the right time), we want to visualize first what we want.

We know that we may not be able to afford having an actual house right away, so we wanna focus first on what we can achieve right now without breaking our backs. It's not bad to plan ahead, but we've learned our lesson and realize that we also need to live in the now. The point is to finally start living together, within our means and within our boundaries of sanity.

This first entry is all about our dream flat.

Edwina's take

It was a bit hard for me to begin this post because my mind is actually exploding with ideas and a bad case of the "Want!s".

So in order for me to gather my thoughts together and present a relatively comprehensible post, I will use my tried and tested method of making a list of my top 5 wants and needs for my dream flat. But since I set that previous sentence up for a loophole in my own standards, I will present you with a list each for my wants and needs:

Top 5 must-haves in my dream flat:

1. A comfy couch:

Source

I'm lazy and I like parking my ass on a nice comfy couch. It's better than lying in bed 'cause the latter makes me feel like a useless human being.
The "perfect" couch must be L-shaped (so it can accommodate more butts side by side, or sleeping bodies). The depth must be enough so I can slouch in it. And it has to be in a neutral color so it's easy to clean (also, I hate pink furniture. I just couldn't find a better photo online).

2. A kitchen counter:

Source

for more convenient cooking. Also, it can serve as extra dining space!

3. A kitchen with good ventilation:
Though I love food, I hate it when the smell of frying gets into the other parts of the house (especially the bedroom). So a kitchen with good ventilation is what I want.

4. An isolated nook from the general living and dining area for the "work station":


Source

But more cluttered most likely.
Aside from a place for our laptops, we also need space for our work and hobbies. Between us we have guitar amps, guitars, a sewing machine, a box full of yarn, some books, and some crafting/DIY tools.

5. A practical bathroom:

Source

I'm not too particular about the fixtures in a bathroom. I just want it to have enough space for storage of toiletries and a fair-sized mirror. No bathtubs necessary!


Top 5 Wants:

1. A separate room for the "work stations":
I know it may be hard to find a place with two bedrooms that we can afford, but it'd be nice to really separate work from rest and recreation.

2. A place that is walking distance from a convenience store or a drugstore:
This should normally be a must-have, but my priorities are skewed.

3. Windows, windows, windows!

Source

4. A guest bathroom:
Space is an issue in small places, so having more than one bathroom is a rare commodity. I'd love it if there was a separate bathroom for guests and visitors.

5. A balcony or at least a communal veranda:

Source

Who doesn't want this??

Marc's take

This was difficult to write. I mean, I could imagine a lot of things that'd be nice to come home to in a flat. A whole lot. So, to distill that mess of ideas into the "essential" qualities, I tried to think of the things I'd most yearn for if I lived alone in a run-of-the-mill condo with adequate yet average furnishing. Here's what I managed to squeeze out:

Wood flooring.

Source

It's a bit pricey, I know, but nothing says "cozy" like the feel of wood under one's feet. It's more warm-to-the-touch than, say, linoleum and isn't as difficult to maintain as carpets. Light also bounces off of it nicely.

An extra room.

Side note: That is a sweeeeeet Telecaster bass. Source

It's always nice to have a spare room, to be used for whatever the moment calls for. Normally, it'd be used as storage space I guess. But I can imagine a number of other functions. For example, it can serve as a bedroom in a pinch if, let's say, a relative or a friend needs a place to stay for a while. I can see Edwina turning it into her crafty cave, too, when she accumulates enough stuff. Or maybe a library. We could also turn it into a music room, provided I sound-proof it so Edwina and I don't disturb the neighbors when we plug in or play records with the volume cranked up.

A queen-sized bed.

Source

The size is just right for both of us. There's enough space to do our own respective things while we're sitting up, but it's limited enough to ensure snuggly sleeping.

A wide window with a view.

Source

It doesn't have to be anything grand or picturesque, like a view of the park or something. All I want is a view of life happening outside. Something dynamic, like a view of the street.

Source

A bay window would be perfect. I'd love to have this spot where I can park myself for the afternoon with my laptop, book, or beverage within easy reach. Those are pretty rare though, so I'd settle for arranging to have some kind of seat up next to it, running along the window's length, and basically emulating the feel of a bay window. Additionally, it'd be a great source of natural light during the daytime.

Lighting options.

Source

Speaking of light, I think it's important to have alternatives to flourescent lighting for those times that call for more than just bland brightness in the room. Well-chosen and strategically-positioned lamps would do well for that.

4 comments:

  1. @Edwina: An L-shaped couch in a neutral color... kind of like mine? :D

    @Marc: Eff the soundproofing, man. Play music loud and long enough til your neighbors love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part of your comment directed to me belongs to a different, future post about "Dream Neighbors" :p

      Delete
    2. Your dream neighbors: Me+Trish, Brian, your top 2 friends, Edwina's top 4 friends, and John Williams

      Delete
    3. Yes! I actually really like your couch (the one in the Morato place).

      Also, yeah, I wish we'd all be neighbors. :D

      Delete