Monday, March 4, 2013

Colorful vs White

This post is an attempt to get my thoughts straight and help me decide on something. (NB: this "dilemma" I will be talking about has not yet been discussed with Marc. heh)

A quick background about myself before I get into this colorful vs. white thing:

I come from a family of 6 siblings. We have always had shared rooms and privacy is a rare commodity in our house... And so is the minimalist aesthetic! Almost all of us tend to hoard, but luckily, our mom reminds us once in a while to destash our closets, clean out our shelves, etc, so we still have some breathing space. Right now, I still live with my mom and 3 of my siblings. Can you imagine the amount of stuff we have in our tiny rented house?

Because we don't own the house we're living in, we can't really make any major changes. We have learned to live with what we have. I think, though, that given the chance, my mom would definitely have changed the flooring, and the wall paint!

Moving out is one of my goals in the near future (in fact, I think Marc and I are sooo ready to take the plunge as soon as we can), but I still can't imagine actually having my own space. A space where I can decide what goes where. How daunting and thrilling at the same time!

Well, I think I've gone too far off track by now. Still here?
I wanted to post a couple of inspiration photos to help me compare the issue between having colorful walls and plain, white walls, and also listing a couple of pros and cons for each:


Colorful walls:


Pros:
1. Colorful walls add a lot of personality to your living space.
2. It's not boring.
3. They dont't get dirty easily.


Cons:
1. Hard to find matching furniture/furnishings (?). I am by no means an interior designer, but I figured it really might be more difficult to find furniture for bold colors.
2. Too loud? I like to think I have simple taste, so I'm not sure if I would appreciate too many colors.

After typing item number 2 under cons, I just realized that my decision has been made. I think I really would prefer white, or at least cream-colored walls. Why?



Pros:
1. White is relaxing.
2. It's a more flexible color.
3. I like simple things.

Cons:
1. White walls get dirty easily!
2. And are more difficult to clean.
<--these cons were written by my lazy ass self.

To conclude this somewhat useless post, I would say that white wins. Oh, fun fact! When my mom was pregnant with me, she wore only white. Her hormones made her detest bright colors for some reason. She told me she even cringed when a lady with red red lipstick approached her at a party back then hahaha.

Also, don't you just love how the person's things are what add character to that second photo? They're what decorate the apartment. :) That's an awesome thought. I hope Marc's and my things will be nice enough to decorate our future white apartment... That's if he agrees to all white! haha

Oh, oh, one last thing:


Do you find this black bedroom wall awesome too? Who would've thought...


love,
Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment