Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Colorful vs White (Marc's take)


I swear, I meant to finish this way earlier, and it's already almost 1 week since I started writing my reponse to Edwina's post. Time to get crackin'!

Not that I know how to do interiors, but my mom (who designs interiors for a living) has had the walls of my room re-painted so many times that I kind of have an idea of what works for me. That being said, it's not like my mind is closed to new ideas either.

Aaaanyway, so colorful vs white walls. Which do I prefer?

I'd go with some kind of off-white. This sounds like a cop-out, I know. But let me explain:

Source
Here's a room with pristine white walls. It just looks so... sterile. A different color for the curtains and the couch may improve things and actually project some kind of mood.

Source
Isn't this a lot better? The off-white just makes the whole scene feel a little warmer and look easier on the eyes. While this photo could have been taken/edited through a vintage filter or something, off-white walls will still have the same effect, essentially absorbing some of the glare and bringing out those warmer tones.

So how about color?

Well, the reason why I'm not a fan of colored walls is that you have to build around that particular color scheme. In the end, I think it'd kinda dictate and limit my choices when it comes to other facets of the room.

I'd feel wrong playing on my cherry red Fender in this room. (Source)
Granted, the photo above is a great example of how to work with an apple green color scheme. I just don't want the hassle.

(Source)
I like how the walls are just neutral space and let everything else in view just pop out. From the books on the shelf, to the frames on the wall, to that pretty wooden chair. Every item in the room is free to just be itself.

2 comments: